Monday 20 February 2012

Repairing the Battlefield

Ok, before I jump straight into this, I feel compelled to write more about BF3 (see the acronyms starting to crawl into my work? Lazy, I know) due to the incredible feedback my last blog about it received.  Honestly, it was really great and before I get into this, I wanted to thank all the people who left me feedback and read it all through.  You may not know, but this blog stuff is new to me too.

I also feel the need to say this before I begin; I like Battlefield.  I don’t wish to come across as ‘a hater’ or someone who is merely airing their rants through a blog.  I just think that Battlefield – specifically Battlefield 3 and its successors – could learn a thing or two from the problems in the latest release. 

The point in this blog I wish to tackle is, ‘is this game catering for the casual gamers, a little too much?’  In my opinion – and it is only my opinion – is yes it does.  I am a casual gamer (playing around 10-20 hours a week) and even I am finding it a little frustrating at how many ‘mini systems’ are in place to help players out.  By ‘mini systems’ I mean ways in which the game holds the hands of players in telling them things which, I believe should be figured out on their own.  For instance, the mini-map, displayed in the bottom left hand corner of the screen, in-game, can disclose a little too much information. 

Audio spotting is when an enemy shoots his weapon (it’s a gun game!) and is highlighted as a triangle on your map.  Whilst I don’t think it’s particularly fair that an enemy should not only be able to see my position when I fire my weapon, but to see which direction I am also looking in, it gives my enemy a huge advantage.  Don’t forget that this is meant to be a game involving a large amount of team work (which is great!) which can mean players move in unison, as a team.  This gives the player who has been audio spotted a few potential problems; 1. He is visible to all the enemies around him; 2. It is likely there will be more than one enemy moving to his position and 3. It also means that due to the amount of bullets it takes to kill in this game (again, not a complaint), that it is highly unlikely that the audio spotted player will survive.  I do appreciate however, that using the silencer attachment gets rid of this problem (after the patch fixed that bug anyway) by removing the audio spotting at the expense of a larger degree of bullet drop and more bullets required to kill an enemy (albeit 1 or 2 bullets difference).  But I can’t help but feel it is still overpowered.  This game mechanic didn’t exist in any of the previous titles, why this one? 

3d spotting is also a mechanic which is arguably somewhat overpowered.  3d spotting is when an enemy is identified by your team mates and a button is pressed which then highlights that enemy on both your mini map and the actual game screen.  Whilst I am of the opinion that is actually a good mechanic to encourage team work, giving the player who ‘spots’ points when that enemy is killed, the feature is often abused.  What is to stop a player from repeatedly pressing the spot button?  To spot an enemy, you don’t even have to aim down the scope, you can look around in a good vantage point and press the spot button and a swarm of enemies can light up like a party of dancing Doritos.  Maybe if the mechanic was only assigned to the appropriately named Recon class, whose job is to scout areas from afar, using tools such as the MAV and TUGS, then maybe it would make their job a little more pronounced on the battlefield.  As I pointed out with audio spotting, 3d spotting also shows your team mates which way your enemy is looking.  In my opinion, even if the mechanic were to show you where the enemy was, without knowing which way he was facing (represented with a circle perhaps?) then it would be improved.  It would certainly make the VOIP (If it worked) more important. 

Also in the game, maybe a first for any game, come to think of it, is vehicle regeneration.  I don’t know about you, but I don’t think it seems very fair for vehicles to magically repair themselves if they are ‘out of action’ for 15 seconds.  Again, this is a feature that wasn’t in other titles, why this one?  Even transformers don’t have this luxury!  They have to repair themselves if they get injured (fully aware they’re not real!).  Engineers exist in the game; why not make them even more useful by forcing them to do their jobs of repairing damaged vehicles?  It might also make people better at driving vehicles if they are forced to look after them. 

Another game mechanic which irks me somewhat is downed allies being represented on the mini map as symbols.  Again, I understand why they are there, but it reveals too much information.  Firstly, it reveals that one of your teams mates is down and where on the map.  Secondly, you know that if you have a downed ally, an enemy is nearby.  This gives you the opportunity to be careful if you wouldn’t have been otherwise, the proverbial ‘heads-up’ as it were.  I think this could be more balanced if they removed the symbol from the mini map and only showed a symbol on the screen if the downed ally is directly in your field of view.  Another way of tackling the issue could be to tell medics through the games own audio, that there is an ally down, encouraging them to look for a body and reviving him. 

Enemy equipment showing up on your mini map.  Claymore mines, anti tank mines and enemy recon equipment show up on my mini map, why?  Surely this makes most equipment a little useless, unless someone who isn’t very good at map reading plays the game?  I hope this is a bug, but if it isn’t, it has to go...

Wall clipping is a bug, but it is also a big problem.  Being able to go prone in the game is fine, hell, if someone was shooting at me, I’d hit the deck... But DICE need to fix wall clipping.  Wall clipping is when your avatar goes through solid objects such as walls or map scenery.  What it means is that if you go prone and ‘clip’ into a solid object, up to 50% of you – or your enemy – is invincible.  Not too good in a competitive shooting game.  I think Call of Duty got this right, because if there is a wall blocking you, you cannot go prone and are prompted with a ‘prone blocked’ message.  Simple, yet effective and it stops from giving you an unfair advantage. 

BUT!  There is good news, a few leaked patch notes seem to making the right noises (Commo Rose update for PC!!).  I doubt that those noises include any fixes of the above problems – that might be too little too late, but weapon balancing issues and attachment balancing is an important first step in repairing the games post-release frailties.  As I have previously stated in my last BF3 blog, found here;


This is a very decent game.  I feel as though I need to keep reiterating this point because I do enjoy it or at least, I want to enjoy it.  My gripes with the game could be fixed with time, let’s hope they put that time into this game. 

I think the biggest thing DICE can do is come out and say they know things aren’t 100% right.  However, this doesn’t seem to be the case.  Saying ‘We nailed it’ doesn’t fill the active community with much confidence because they know that is not the case.  DICE releasing patches tells everyone that they haven’t ‘nailed it’.  Patches are effectively fixing broken parts of the game.   

So what can we expect in the future with DICE? Will there still be broken voice communications?  Will there still be input lag on the PS3?  Will there still be lock on, fire and forget weapons?  Wall clipping?   3d and audio spotting?  Will their telemetry – which they appear to put so much faith in – suggest to them that they include more maps like Operation Metro?  Whilst there seems to be never ending servers filled to the brim with 24/7 Op-Metro games being played, is that due to players who are new to the game needing to play it to catch up with the higher levelled players who have unlocked the better weapons and equipment?  Will they provide even more ‘mini systems’ to help players that are new to the franchise? 

I hope not, I even have the hope that they get rid of a few in the next game, once the newer players feel at home.  I cannot imagine they will be gotten rid of in this game, although they could, if they wanted to.  Before I was introduced to the franchise, I, like many others, played games such as Call of Duty, Quake and Counter Strike.  What drew me to this game was the fact it was that bit more ‘grown up’.  It required more thinking.  You couldn’t run around with any weapon, killing everything in your path, at any range.  I remember the sheer terror at coming across tanks in BF2, finding myself out of reach from my squad mates, I had to lay low, wait for it to pass and hope it never saw me.  It felt like a scene in Saving Private Ryan!  Now, all you have to do is 3d spot it and wait for a jet, helicopter, a support with c4 or an engineer with a RPG to help you out.  I feel as though the moments of suspense in this game are few and far between. 

Maybe the next Battlefield will be released on the next generation of consoles (the ‘next, next gen?!’).  How powerful will these consoles be?  Will they be able to handle 64 players without having to push the machines to the extreme?  If they can handle 64 players, will the latest PCs be able to handle 128 or even 256 players?  Where will it end?  As I have said in my previous blog, ideally they need to keep treating consoles and PCs as separate entities.  But there is a lot more money to be made releasing games on consoles, so I cannot see separate games being released any more.  It would mean creating two separate games, with twice as many programmers/work!  Not really a viable business strategy. 

Seems like I’ve been wittering on again doesn’t it?  How about I end this now, let the game grow and mature and see where we are in another 6 months..  No game is released without bugs today, that’s the nature of the beast with the sheer amount of differing hardware/software available to people these days.  I suppose only time will tell us if DICE leave this title as it is, essentially changing their values to cater for the more arcade friendly gamers.  I just hope that I am made to look stupid in the next few months.  I sincerely hope people can read this back when BF4 is released and sneer at my short-sightedness.

If you’ve made it this far, I hope you have a great day,

If you enjoyed my ramblings, please follow.  Also feel free to leave any feedback; it’s all very much appreciated.

Mr. C

1 comment:

  1. Nicely done!
    One can only imagine what the game would look like if people like you were in charge. I wish.

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete